Friday 18 May 2012

It's Blogger's Quilt Festival this weekend! 

Even though I wouldn't call myself a quilter (through lack of quilts completed rather than desire) I've decided to take part.


I absolutely love making quilts but it's a time and priority issue that has so far prevented me from making more (although I do currently have 3 on the go...).
I spend a lot of time on Flickr and Pinterest mesmerised by the stunning quilts out there and am itching to abandon all my other commitments (work, children etc etc etc...) to just throw myself into quilt making.



 So here is my entry into Bloggers' Quilt Festival 2012...
If you are currently a reader of my blog you will be very familiar with it. If you have arrived via the Festival then thank you for coming and looking and I hope you like what you see!
I know there are way better, more intricate, more stunning, more professionally made quilts out there, but I am really entering in the vein of "it's the taking part that counts" and an opportunity to meet new lovely quilting peeps and see what everyone is up to. So please do leave a comment and let me know where I can see what you are up to too!


For those of you that don't know me, this quilt contains elements of all that I love about sewing and quilts. For me it's all about highlighting favourite fabrics and colours. I love hand quilting so you can see a few sashiko stitched pieces in there. As for the backing - AMH Loulouthi flannel snuggleness extraordinaire! I have to back my next quilts in this, if only to stop my 3 kids fighting over this one, with constant cries of "It's my turn to have the snuggle quilt!"
As for the strip of Nani Iro dots...that was a happy accident...I didn't quite have enough Loulouthi!


Thank you for stopping by and I really can't wait to see what you are all up to!
And if you haven't yet and you want to join in...head here...
See you at The Festival!

37 comments:

Charlotte said...

that really is lovely.

verykerryberry said...

The colours are so you and i love the hand stitch hexagons

{Leila}Where the Orchids Grow said...

It is a beautiful quilt, the colours are lovely and the hand stitches add just the right touch. Wonderful!

Nicky said...

I don't mind seeing this beauty again! Love all the details ! And the colours! And the lovely fabrics! Great combination!

celticfusionfabrics said...

This quilt is absolutely gorgeous and fresh - with the beautiful detailed hand stitching and the colour combinations - it is a winner .. G

beth said...

"I spend a lot of time on Flickr and Pinterest mesmerised by the stunning quilts out there and am itching to abandon all my other commitments (work, children etc etc etc...) to just throw myself into quilt making."

Yes!!! ME TOO... EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!! This quilt is lovely - the colors are great and the flannel back looks so cozy!

Cherie said...

The quilt is gorgeous! I love the colour scheme! They are my kind of colours. Good luck in the festival. =D

CitricSugar said...

Very pretty! I love that you added the mustard binding... It sets off the blues so nicely.

Unknown said...

A fantastic quilt. Love the hand stitching. Very impressive. You have encouraged me...I am about to embark on my first foray into hand quilting. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this quilt! My favorite that I've seen so far. I love those colors, too.

Jenelle said...

The colors in this quilt are fabulous! I also love the choice for your binding. I would have never guessed to use that print, but it's so lovely! All of the hand stitching really makes this special. :)

Mom said...

great modern interpretation of a classic pattern.


margaret gunn
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Wendy said...

It really is a gorgeous quilt. I love the use of all the different hues of blue, set off perfectly with the yellow binding

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! Don't sell yourself short, totally worthy entry.

**nicke... said...

oh i really love this! so so beautiful!

Kleep said...

These colours are wonderful. I just love them. You could really design a whole room from this quilt. It looks quite simply fantastic!!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

What the heck (okay, my word is stronger but since i'm visiting you for the first time, I'm being "good"), you ARE a quilter. 1 quilt completed makes you a quilter, lady! :D

This quilt is beautiful in its simplicity and the Sashiko, ah, I'm coming to love this more and more. Yours is beautiful.

Maybe don't abandon all responsibilities but instead, loop kids into helping. Pick fabrics out, perhaps? :D

Karen said...

Oh my gosh what a beautiful quilt! Such great fabrics!!

MrsShilts said...

Such a gorgeous quilt Karen, well done it's lovely x

Katie B said...

So beautiful! I love your colors.

Janet said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! I can totally relate to the desire to abandon all for quilting :)

Camilla said...

I'm a new follower of yours so I haven't seen this before-love it!
I know exactly what you mean about priorities and quilting, but it's great and tempting to have so much inspiration out there isn't it!

Camilla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marg said...

It's beautiful, I love the colours and the hand stitching is wonderful.

The Thompsons said...

It's lovely - I love the colors you chose for this quilt.

Eileen said...

lovely--those are beautiful colors and how great to have the handstitching on there!! thanks for sharing and have a great day

myBearpaw said...

this is so beautiful Karen, just nominated you for best hand quilted quilt!

tusen said...

Great choice of fabrics and I love the hand stitches.

Marci Girl said...

Love, love, love it!!! It contains everything I love about quilting too!

Anonymous said...

I love this. A male friend is looking for a quilt ad this would be great. Where could I get a pattern?

Little Paper Dog said...

Stunning patter and fabric! xoxoxo

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Beautiful colour combinations and I love your hand quilting touches.

kat said...

This is gorgeous! I'm wondering how big the hexagons are (say, from point to point)? Did you use a template?

Cindy Sharp said...

I would love to make this lovely quilt! I too wondered the scale of the hexs. Can you email me at jcanigl@aol.com? (I am on my friends laptop now).
Jeanne

Katie said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! I love the colors and the pattern. I so wish I was a quilter so for now I am just going to pin and admire yours.

Maria said...

That's a lovely quilt; the fabrics are gorgeous!

kate said...

Did you hand sew the hexagons together (in rows, or how did that work??)