Thursday 17 March 2011

Warning: Beautiful photos alert!

I've just treated myself to a couple of Japanese pattern books. Not only are the clothes in these books to die for, but even if it takes me a while to even begin to narrow down the list enough to make anything, simply browsing through the pages alone is enough.

The photography is aspirational, making you want to step right on in and live amongst the pages.

And the attention to detail is exquisite. I particularly love the doily detail that is throughout 'Stylish Dress Book'.

I'm really not sure which one I will make first, once my Japanese is up to scratch of course. Having said that, Kate of M is for Make, where I bought the books from is doing an invaluable guide on her blog of how to use Japanese pattern books.

I adore this pretty sundress, above, and would love to think I'll make at least one for our recently booked summer holiday in the sun.

Another strong contender is this smart dress, below left, perfect for a summer wedding. To be quite honest, I'd be ecstatic if I can make any of them.

On the theme of summer clothing, the second book I bought was 'Girlswear on Holiday', with the aim of making a couple of pretty summer dresses for Ruby.

Despite her favourite line when we go shopping together being "Mummy, that is so much more your style than mine..." we were in full agreement on what I should make for her.

Actually I'm quite wondering what size the children's sizings go up to...

Whilst the adults' book is shot beautifully, delicately, with a real sense of sublime utility, the children's one has captured such an air of fun that, any day now, while I'm jumping into 'Stylish Dress Book', I am pretty sure Ruby will be heading into the sun and fun-filled pages of this one.

7 comments:

louise35flower said...

thanks for the sneak peek into the dress book, I was eyeing that one up myself!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I LOVE Japanese pattern books. NOw I'm getting a weensy bit better at figuring out patterns, i'm tempted to order a couple for inspiration, since I might actually be able to work out one or two of the patterns without understanding the instructions. Luckily I also have a local Japanese friend if I get really stuck!

Gilly Tee said...

They are stunning photos.
Gillx

Stephanie said...

I also have one Japanese pattern book and love them all!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! SO tempted by these. My experience with Japanese pattern books has been good. I learned some pretty complicated crochet stitches just by looking at the excellent diagrams.
Have a great weekend,
Heather

Kate at M is for make said...

Glad you like the books!

Here is the Japanese pattern book sew along for anyone who is interested...

http://misformake.blogspot.com/search/label/Japanese book sew along

Kylie said...

I bought this book too because of you! Thanks for the links :)) Kx