Friday 14 May 2010

We are just 2 weeks away from one of the biggest events in our little family's life... Sam's Bar Mitzvah is scarily close. As a Jewish Mother, I knew 13 years ago that we would one day be here. But come on, 13 years is a long time. it shouldn't be here yet, should it?

Apparently it is. On the one hand I am excited beyond belief. Sam has worked incredibly hard over the last year to learn all he needs to learn and be ready for this big coming of age ceremony. And to be at a milestone that I have watched in awe of others doing their Bar Mitzvahs, is quite mind-blowing, let me tell you.

On the other hand I am completely overwhelmed by how much has to be done. Whilst Sam has been in charge of the religious side, someone round here has had to get going on the celebrations. I've never tackled anything quite so big...Friday night dinner for the immediate family...Saturday lunch for 50 extended family...a party for 70 close friends Saturday night... oh and the big shebang of 200 on Sunday night. Whilst I personally am not cooking, there is still plenty to do.

And as we well know, I am not going to be buying any decorations or hire someone else to do it for me. What's the point in being crafty if you can't get immerse yourself in something like this? (My sister-in-law did put me in my place when I suggested making Whoopie Pies for 70 on Saturday night)

Even though I have had 13 years to get ready for this, I am just beginning to get going on all the finer details. 2 weeks? Plenty of time! I've been collecting ideas over the last few months and having found this great little tutorial for paper lanterns from here via here, I started to give them a go.

How fab are they? And what a great use of my oodles of left over Orla wallpaper. I can see them in glass bowls on the table, strewn with ribbon over EVERYWHERE and laid in rows in other places. I have grand ideas for these little babies in all sorts of different designs.

The next 2 weeks is going to be pretty full on so I may disappear for a little while. If you don't see me around much, I may well be found under a pile of papers, lists, decorations...

7 comments:

Kate at M is for make said...

wow - that's some celebration, good luck and enjoy, Kate x

Me and Ma said...

The lanterns look fab Karen and thats a brilliant idea to use left over wallpaper. I think REALLY BIG ones would look absolutly amazing too..

Ra Ra Bazaar said...

The lanterns are so pretty. Will you tell us more about what the Bar Mitzvah is, what happens etc.

Andi said...

Mazal Tov!!!
I'm sure it will be a wonderful simcha.
Andi :-)

Caro said...

Good luck to you on your upcoming events. Also, from your previous posting, can you tell me who the designer/mfg. of the white bird on a wire fabric is from. It's just too cute. Thanks.

Karen Lewis Textiles said...

Caro, the designer is a brilliant Australian designer called Caitlin and her label is Pippijoe...click on ther link in my sidebar and that will then take you to her blog...from there her Etsy shop...et voila!

Karen Lewis Textiles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.